Not only huge multinational conglomerates require support in accessing the U.S. market; companies with one employee may also be considering an expansion or relocation overseas.  The following are a few examples of how our services could enhance your profit margins.

•    U.S. Investment
Based on the Convention to Regulate Commerce, a treaty between the United States and the United Kingdom that entered into force on July 3, 1815, I can support British companies in registering with the U.S. Embassy in London to send managerial employees and employees with essential skills to the United States to work in a related entity.  I can also assist entrepreneurs in obtaining a visa to direct an investment in the United States under this treaty. A number of other countries around the world have similar treaties with the United States allowing for the transfer of employees.

•    International Trade
Based on the same treaty of commerce and navigation between the United States and the United Kingdom, I can support British companies in trade with the United States where it entails the movement of personnel.  A similar treaty exists between the United States and many other countries around the world.

•    Business Expansion
A foreign business may establish a U.S. entity and send workers at the managerial/executive level or those who have advanced or specialized knowledge to the United States to work at that entity.  I can review the business expansion plan in the context of U.S. immigration issues, and support the visa applications for the transferring employees.

•    Employee Rotations
If your company has a need to train employees in the United States or transfer employees to a U.S. entity, I can help you to develop a long- and short-term strategy for continuity in the movement of employees.  

•    Self-employment
Depending on the type of work you do and the recognition you have received for it, we may be able to assist you in applying for recognition as a person of extraordinary ability.  If you meet the criteria for extraordinary ability, you may qualify for a nonimmigrant (temporary) visa or a green card.  There are a variety of visa categories that do not require extraordinary ability, and we will work together to explore each and every one to find the best fit.

•    Support for HR
U.S. People Resources Professionals (HR) oftentimes possess a general understanding of U.S. immigration options and procedures, and at least enough to prepare certain types of visa applications.  But what happens when one of your employees previously has been turned down for a visa? Or when he/she has an old conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol that has been spent or expunged?  Olivia McLaren, Ltd. has the legal expertise to support HR in areas of uncertainty.

Experience has taught me to believe in human capital investment, and that a well supported, robust workforce underpins sustained profitability in most industries.  With that in mind, Olivia McLaren, Ltd. provides bespoke U.S. immigration advisory services and reliable support to our clients' employees in entering the U.S. market. 


If you’re considering a temporary or permanent relocation to the United States, you should understand your options and responsibilities under the U.S. immigration and nationality laws. Olivia McLaren, Ltd. can guide you through the whole process of applying for a visa and entering the United States.  I will help you prepare the correct materials and follow proper procedures to promote a smooth experience, and I'll do my best to ensure that you understand what’s happening every step of the way.  

•    Temporary Relocation (i.e., “Nonimmigrant” Admission)
Most nonimmigrant classifications require an employer sponsor, and the type of visa depends on the nature of the employment and your qualifications.  For example, if you are a professional athlete, you may be eligible for a P (professional athlete) or an O (extraordinary ability) visa if you have a U.S. offer of employment.  Perhaps you are a software engineer and your employer wants to send you to the United States to work as a consultant for another company.  There are a few visas, including the H-1B and the L-1, which we would discuss.

•    Permanent Relocation (i.e., “Immigrant” Admission)
There are a variety of avenues to lawful permanent residency in the United States, also known as a green card. (NB: the “green card” is now actually green! This was not always the case.) Most require either a family member sponsor or an employer sponsor, with a few notable exceptions, such as the Diversity Visa Lottery (conducted annually to encourage diversity in the nationality of individuals immigrating to the United States). Olivia McLaren, Ltd. can provide you with an assessment of options, or assist with a process that is already underway.

•    Citizenship
The United States allows for dual citizenship – it does not require citizens to give up foreign citizenship in order to naturalize or derive U.S. citizenship.  On the other hand, many countries, such as the Netherlands and Germany, make it difficult or impossible to retain citizenship upon the acquisition of U.S. citizenship. Citizenship and nationality (two different concepts with overlaps) are governed by a complex web of domestic and international laws.  If you are considering obtaining or claiming U.S. citizenship, you may wish to consult the firm regarding the process and your eligibility.  If appropriate, I can work with foreign counsel to resolve expatriation issues.

•    Resolving Admissibility Issues
Did you know that regardless of whether a conviction is spent or unspent, it must be disclosed to the U.S government in visa applications where the question is asked? I will energetically entertain any issue – criminal, medical or immigration history – that may affect your personal eligibility to enter the United States. We can provide advice on visa denials, security clearances and waiver applications.

•    Travel for Business or Pleasure
If you are a national of a Visa Waiver country wishing to spend more than 90 days in the United States or a national of a country requiring a visa for all trips to the United States, Olivia McLaren, Ltd. can assist you in obtaining the appropriate visa.  Perhaps you are considering a gap year in the United States?  Or you are traveling to the United States for your job and you aren’t one hundred percent sure if your activities are permissible as a tourist? I will review your itinerary and advise on your options.

•    Tax Considerations
I generally recommend that anyone with significant assets considering relocation to the United States consult with an international taxation specialist before making the move.  This may be an accountant, a tax lawyer or a financial planning advisor.  Once you meet certain criteria (i.e., related to time and status in the United States), your worldwide income may become subject to U.S. taxation.  There are also penalties for expatriating in many circumstances, which may include a tax on your worldwide assets.  Accordingly, before making any decisions, you should do your due diligence to assess your potential tax liabilities.  Olivia McLaren, Ltd. does not hold expertise in taxation, although we may be able to connect you with someone who does upon request.


I consult for other law firms and practitioners, offering advice on questions of law or assistance on a broad range of U.S. immigration matters. If you are a lawyer and you have a case with a complex legal issue requiring an opinion, please feel free to contact the firm.